ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, DOCK ROAD, TILBURY
St John’s was built in 1902. The foundation stone was laid on the 29 July 1902; the church was consecrated on the 1st July 1903, and was opened in 1904.
The high roof at the time was later removed as it was causing the church to subside, and was too heavy for the building. (as seen in the photo).
The church roof was lowered and modified on a couple of occasions up to the present day. The vicarage was built later in the 1920s which still stands today and is still used by the vicar we have today, father Tim Codling.
A first church hall was added to the church grounds but later in the 1960s a brick one was built.
Wellington Road seen in the photos which is there today was once the old Quebec Road, which ran through to the one we have today.