Tilbury A Station (1956-1981)
There has been an operational power station at Tilbury for well over 56 Years. Tilbury A consisted of six generating units, producing a total of 360 Megawatts of electricity on fossil fuel and co-firing oil for the National Grid.
In 1981 Tilbury A stopped operating and its station boilers and turbines hall and chimneys were demolished in 1999. Some of the power station still exists today as a listed building.
Tilbury B Station (1967-2013)
Tilbury B station had a total generating capacity of more than 1,400 Megawatts of electricity, operating on fossil fuel (or coal) and co-firing Oil.
In 2011. it became a biofuel burning (Biomass, meaning wood Pellets). In July 2013, N Power announced they were halting the Biomass programe due to difficulty in financing the plant –http://www.newenergyworldnetwork.com/investor-news/renewable-energy-news/by-technology/biofuel-biomass/rwe-will-close-1-yr-old-uk-biomass-plant-units-today.html
Recently (this month, August 2013) it was announced in the local newspaper that it is not operatinal and not producing electricity –