This is a very early postcard dating from pre-WW1. It is a view facing north-west over Low Street level crossing with the station to the right. The narrowness of the road at that time is readily apparent, as is the consequent arrangement of the level crossing gates. Partially visible at far left is the original signal box which is not the same box seen in later pictures; very few photographs showing it have come to light. It was to be replaced in January 1925 and the reason why is fairly obvious. What is less obvious is that three tracks crossed the road, namely the Up and Down main lines and the Down goods loop.
Two of the station’s oil lamps can be seen, both with the actual lamps present in the casements. A ladder is propped against the nearest lamp, indicating it has either just been refilled with oil or is about to be. This task had to be undertaken in all weathers along with signal and level crossing lamps. The bracket signal was to remain in use well into the BR period, being replaced initially by a searchlight type colour-light signal. An open wagon can be seen on the right and the style of the letter ‘G’ suggests the wagon is of Great Eastern Railway origin. It is apparently standing upon the Down main line as the ramp of the Down platform is just visible behind and to the left of the wagon.