The Tilbury Hotel
A lost landmark
The Tilbury Hotel was one of Thurrock’s lost landmarks. It was part of the original docks development, and opened on April 17th 1886.
The architect was Mr. E. A. Gruning and the builders were Perry and Co. of Bow.
Standing at the entrance to the dock, it became a familiar sight to travellers and was much used for overnight stays by passengers arriving or departing on the many cruise ships which operated
The hotel provided facilities of a very high standard and unusually for the 1880s,was able to provide electric-light throughout.
It was destroyed by incendiary bombs in 1944.